Friday, February 23, 2007

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~Native American Proverb

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth. ~Henry David Thoreau

John made a comment the other night after I got home from the store. Which by the way am I the only one that find grocery shopping a total pain!? I don’t so much mind the going to the store or 1 ½ hours that it takes out of my evening, but dang if it doesn’t cost an arm & a leg. I also might even owe my first born to them, but I’m not sure! Goodness! Our grocery bill has gotten even worse now that I am trying really hard to pay more attention to what is in what we are eating & make healthier choices. Can someone please explain to me why if they are leaving out stuff it costs more??!

So on with my original thought. I had this pile of plastic shopping bags after putting all the groceries away. I hate them, but this store doesn’t seem to have paper available. So John says why don’t you make shopping bags then. Well duh! I even have one that I used when we in FL that Publix was selling for a time. Just a canvas tote really with Publix emblazoned on it. Then I remembered that I have seen directions for crocheting shopping bags from plastic shopping bags. I haven’t ever gotten around to actually trying this, but have wanted to.

So incase you are interested here are some links on this very topic:

Plastic bag usage statistics
Ideas for reusable bags
Crocheted plastic bag examples
Crochet directions & Instructions for cutting the bags and making a ball of "yarn"

There are probably manyof you that already do this but this is something that I would like to try to be better at. I will probably get some strange looks as I don't think that there are too many people in this area that bring there own reusable bags to the store with them but I think that after reading some of those stats that more of us better start! Eeeek!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hay- off topic, but I was your swap partner for the Pink and Yellow Swap, and you are only two states away, and I am super duper worried that you haven't received the package yet as it should have been there by now. Will you let me know when you receive it? Thanks!

LLA said...

I love going to the grocery store - but that's just me. I'm a freak... :)

(I'm also a coupon clipping junkie, but that's another story altogether...)

I like the idea of eliminating the number of plastic bags. I reuse a lot of them as mini trash bags around the house, and I recycle the rest. Didn't Kelli have issues with a store that wouldn't let her bring her own bags???

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, I'm just this minute mentally preparing for a trip to the store. It's not the shopping I dislike as much as the hauling home and putting away. As for the bags, I've never seen anyone bring their own in this area, but I'd like to be the first. One of these days I'll work up the nerve to give it a shot...hopefully.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Mini trash bags is my use also. We use them all up that way.

Anonymous said...

i still don't get this proverb..can someone explain its meaning to me???

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!